Event Planning Process
Updated Fall 2009
Six (6) Weeks Prior to the Event Date
- Student organizations request an Event Planner Form from the Office of Student Life. Campus Departments, auxiliaries and off-campus groups may request an Event Planner Form from the Procurements & Contracts, Logistical and Support Services (PCLASS) Office. This form can also be obtained online here:
- Program Approval/Denial is obtained by completing the Event Planner Form Packet (complete all appropriate forms) and acquiring all organization and University signatures as appropriate for the proposed program. If approval is unavailable at that time, an Event Planning Meeting for Student Organizations, jointly coordinated by the Loker Student Union and Office of Student Life, may be required. Failure to attend and participate in an Event Planning Meeting with the Office of Student Life or PCLASS staff four (4) weeks prior to the event date may cause the event to be canceled or rescheduled.
- Attend an Event Planning Meeting with organization members who will work at the event (at least one member must be an official officer of the organization), the organization's advisor, a representative from the University Police when appropriate, a representative of the facility, other university representative as applicable and the Director of the Office of Student Life (or PCLASS) who will preside over the meeting. The Event Planning Meeting is required to review the details and planning of the event when any of the following apply.
The event is:
- A dance
- A concert
- Involves a request to serve alcohol
- Will have cash collected at the door
- A campus event with an expected attendance of over 100
- A casino night or involves raffles or drawings
- An auction in which students are auctioned off
- Deemed to be moderate to high risk by Director, Office of Student Life and/or State University Police
- In a facility or at a location that requires an Event Planning Meeting which include but may not be limited to the University Theatre, Gymnasium, Housing, Sculpture Garden, ERC Forum, Student Union Patios, and the Vendor Walkway or whenever amplified sound is planned for an outdoor event.
- Event Planner Forms for approved programs for student organizations will be forwarded to the Loker Student Union by the Office of Student Life as a request for space. For events requiring an Event Planning Meeting, OSL will submit a request for a tentative facility reservation through the Loker Student Union Administrative Office Facility Scheduler. This tentative request will be held until two weeks after the Event Planning Meeting, before which time the student organization must have contacted the Loker Student Union to confirm and finalize or to release the reservation without charge(s). Loker Student Union Cancellation Policies and Fees will apply.
Campus Departments and off-campus groups may make a tentative facility reservation through PCLASS. All facility reservations made through PCLASS shall abide by terms and conditions set forth in the Facilities Leasing Manual.
Five (5) Weeks Prior to the Event Date
Student organizations meet with the Loker Student Union Facility Scheduler and campus departments meet with PCLASS to discuss the Event Planner Form information and obtain reservation approval and confirmation when required.
Four (4) Weeks Prior to the Event Date
Attend an Event Planning Meeting with organization members who will work at the event (at least one member must be an official officer of the organization), to review the details and planning of the event when/if required by the Office of Student Life. See above in Item 1 for events and circumstances that require an Event Planning Meeting. No publicity is to be posted or circulated in any way until a reservation has been fully confirmed. This is latest this meeting can occur!
Three (3) Weeks Prior to the Event Date
Based on the outcome of the Event Planning Meeting (when required):
- Provide or request an update of your event reservation from the appropriate reservations office. If the event must be cancelled or postponed, make these arrangements now by informing all relevant parties (Police, Reservations, ASI, OSL, Insurance, etc.).
- If needed, equipment and set-up requests must be forwarded to the appropriate campus office by the sponsoring organization or campus department. Delay of this information may put program reservations at risk of cancellation or postponement.
Two (2) Weeks Prior to the Event Date
Confirm and finalize event arrangements.
- Cancellation: A minimum of two (2) weeks notice is required for cancellation of confirmed campus event reservations. A late cancellation fee of $50 may be assessed to the sponsoring organization if the event is canceled with less than two (2) weeks notice. See the Facilities Leasing Manual for cancellation fees.